Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What Does Home Mean To You?

 Home can come in many different forms. It can be a place you hold dear, it can be a refuge from troubled times, a state of mind, or it can be a stopover along the way to someplace else.
Watermelons make a great place to call home, if you're a Wren or a Chickadee.

If you've spent any time in the military, you will know, it's tough to settle down in one place for any length of time. Moving constantly from one post to another, you learn to travel light. 
Baltimore Oreole and a clever "Suet House"

I've moved numerous times in my life, at least 5 times that I can recall. I've been over the Big Pond at least twice, calling Germany home for 18 months, even started my first year of school there. When dad's tour overseas was over, we moved back to the US, where we stayed with Dad's family in NJ for a while, before finally moving back to Mom's home turf, and finally settling in California. 
No, I didn't live in my car, but I did spend a lot of time in it, cleaning and shining it up. There was pride of place, even in the driver's seat, and I was Queen of my tiny world.
(My home of my youth, seen in the background; I've revisited it in my dreams, many times) Recently, I found the old Homestead on Google Maps; it's not as warm as I remember it, cold and neglected-looking, in a sad way. This picture reminds me of happier times.

We moved to where we are now, a little over 11 years ago. We have the perfect campsite, always available, without having to make reservations a year in advance, and without the temporary camping neighbors. I can make my own cooking smells too!

I moved to where I am now, a little over 11 years ago. Although there are places I still would like to see, I think I've found where I will stay the remainders of my days.

Home is where the heart is, and no matter where you lay your head at night, if you can find a little peace and solace, then you can call that Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment