Flour Tortilla Recipe
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4-6 Tbsp. lard
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Add lard and mix in with both hands.
- Add warm water slowly until your dough is soft.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Pull dough into a dozen balls.
- Roll out balls with a rolling pin to 1/8 inch thick. The thickness is important for the tortilla to be crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside.
- Lay raw tortilla in a very hot skillet or griddle for about 5 seconds each side, just until brown spots start to appear on the surface.
Best Huevos Rancheros, Micheal-styleStart with a warm tortilla, you can microwave for 15 seconds to loosen it up. Place on an oven-safe plate. Cook desired number of eggs per person, until a little crispy around edges but not runny; place in center of warm tortilla. Spoon chile sauce around eggs, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, a few chiles, and cook under broiler for about 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Eggs should still come out soft in the center, like over-easy do.
Perfect for a cold Thursday night!
PS: Sorry, no picture this time- didn't even make it off the skillet~ YUM!