Thursday, August 5, 2010

Captured: America in Color from 1939-1943 – Plog Photo Blog

Faro and Doris Caudill, homesteaders. Pie Town, New Mexico, October 1940. Reproduction from color slide. Photo by Russell Lee. Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress

Stunning photos capture life in the early 40's, amazing shots~

Captured: America in Color from 1939-1943 – Plog Photo Blog

More photos, black and white period shots
An Indian enclave in Albuquerque, N. Mex. Primitive shelters with modern city street behind. 1912. (Courtesy of the National Archives)

From the Archive: American Cities Pre-1950 – Plog Photo Blog

I’ve been working on a couple projects for a dear friend who is recovering from shoulder surgery, and omitted any mention of these, on purpose. I didn’t want to let any cats out of any bags, nor be tempted to hint at what I was doing. Tonight, I am preparing her parcel for shipment, and will post completed pictures as soon as I know she’s got them. Mustn’t ruin the surprise~

I’m working on a pair of socks right now, and it feels good to be back to my knitting again.

Nancy's Socks by Wendy D. Johnson

I’ve spent much of the summer working on a couple crochet projects as  gifts, one taking 6 weeks to complete. Sharon called me last night to say how much she loves her Rose Parade Doily, and has shared it with her nearest and dearest :)   Today, she had the Chemo-port inserted in her shoulder, to make ready for her treatments which will start next week.  Her DH said it was a very stressful day, so I didn’t get to speak with her, but hope to again soon.

 DD35 has been calling since their weekend in MI last week-her DFIL passed away suddenly, leaving DMIL a total wreck. Not to mention, DMIL had emergency surgery, a total hysterectomy 2 days after her return from the MI trip. The whole family is in turmoil, between trying to sort out Dad’s funeral arrangements, and taking care of Mom. DD35 is feeling the strain again, but I know she will pull through this, as she is always at her best when she’s helping another soul in need. Her DMIL will be living with them for a time, after her release from the hospital, and I’m sure will be more than ready to help out with teh Babeh Girl.

DH and I began picking up the pieces of our hearts after DD17 and DS15 went back to Jersey. Their visit was good this time, we felt. Now we feel their absence again, like a black hole that fills our days. It doesn’t take long for a body to get used to having loved ones in their lives for a time, only to be torn from them again, leaving a hole in the heart that never closes. We are both  grateful for every day we get to spend with them,  and sad when left with bittersweet memories that must sustain us through the in-between times.

Each of these things, I knit into whatever I am working on at the moment, each stitch holding some memory of that particular day. When I am done, I’ll gift it to the person whom I put most thought into while I worked on it.  I find comfort in my work, and hope it is conveyed in the gifting.

Igor says mosquitoes suck. Best to stay inside in the a/c.

No comments:

Post a Comment