Monday, January 18, 2010

Knitting Techniques : The I-Cord

The Knitted I-cord: “I” is for “Ingenious”
The venerable Elizabeth Zimmerman rediscovered and named the I-cord (the I-cord, called a “stay lace,” was mentioned in Victorian needlework manuals). The “I” stands for “idiot” because Ms. Zimmerman thought  the technique was so simple anyone could do it.

The I-cord is simply a tube knitted in the round with two double-pointed needles (I’ve done it with a long circular needle, too).

I-cordThe I-cord is one of those things in knitting that is endlessly useful. The technique is somewhat idiot-proof, once you get the hang of it, and it’s also really mindless knitting—the I-cord is something to do in front of the TV or with a good audio book on board for sure!

Here’s a quickie tutorial:
With a double-pointed needle, cast on the desired number of stitches-I cast on 3, a good number. 
*Without turning the needle, slide the stitches to other end of the needle, pull the yarn around the back, and knit the stitches as usual; repeat from * for desired length.
(The illustration above shows knitting the stitches after you’ve slid the them to the other end of the needle.)


I saved this email reference, just in case I’d have need of it someday. That day isn’t here but it was time to clean out my emails and at the risk of losing the tutorial, I wanted to add it to my blog for future reference.

Here's a really easy Vickie Howell video tutorial (check out her way-cool tatt on her arm!): YouTube Video : Knitted I-Cord

I’ve worked a short I-Cord, as a real illustration. I’m a Lefty Knitter, so it’s going to be opposite of what the above illustration shows, but I tried to duplicate it as closely as possible; you get the idea.



I-Cord
These are great for making a tie for a poncho, eyelet closure for a knitted blouse or strings for a cap.

Reminds me of my elementary school days when I first learned how to make a Daisy Chain with dandelions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment