Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pickles as Comfort Food? YEPPERS!

The following recipe is one that caught me by surprise. Pickles in cooking? I never would have dreamed, but this was amazing! My DMIL made it for us for dinner one night, and it changed my whole concept of German Cuisine altogether-I was hooked!
I’m in Comfort Food Mode now, even after the holidays. I think it’s a primal instinct to eat anything that will stick to one’s ribs. I’m all for it, especially when we are too busy in the summer months to stop and take time to eat a balanced meal.

German Rouladen

German Rouladen by Gracey, allrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
  • German stone ground mustard, to taste
  • 1/2 pound thick sliced bacon
  • 2 large onions, sliced
  • 1 (16 ounce) jar dill pickle slices
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cube beef bouillon

Directions

  1. Cut the flank steak into thin filets; about 1/4 inch thick and 3 inches wide.
  2. Generously spread one side of each filet with mustard to taste. Place bacon, onions and pickle slices on each filet and form into a roll. Use string or toothpicks to hold the roll together.
  3. Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Place the rolls in the butter and saute until browned.
  4. Pour in 2 1/2 cups of water and add the bouillon cube; stirring to dissolve the bouillon cube. Simmer the rolls for about an hour.
Serve with mashed potatoes.
*nutritional information and recipe at  AllRecipes.com

I like rice dishes, so when this one crossed my Plurk path, I had to investigate. I like Mediterranean foods-heck I like just about anything- I should have chosen culinary school back when Mom kept pushing me to join the Army; cooking is one thing I love to do!

Rice Salad

posted January 5, 6:00 PM Atlanta Ethnic Foods Examiner Beth Robinette
Rice Salad by Beth Robinette
1 cup rice
2 ¼ cup water, roughly
½ teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons canola oil
¼ teaspoon black pepper (or more if you prefer)
1 small bunch of fresh green onions, chopped fine
1 small bunch fresh dill, or parsley, or dried parsley
1 cup dill pickles, diced finely or dill pickle relish
1 can, 15 oz, corn, or frozen corn Boil the water in a large pot and add salt. Add rice and oil. Cover lightly and cool on low heat just until the rice soaks up the water. Don’t overcook. Let the rice cool to room temperature. Add pepper, dill, pickles and corn. Mix gently. Serve cold or at room temperature.
*recipe at examiner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment