Saturday, February 20, 2010

Hunter and His Gi-Gi's

My DIL posted a picture of my Grandson Hunter with ALL of his Gi-Gi's and I was surprised and delighted to see one my mother made for his daddy too!


This is an excerpt of her post:
Grandma AND Great Grandma Gi-Gi's. The beautiful one covering Hunter was made by Richards mom Sandra and the yellow, green and orange one on the back of the couch was made by Richards Grandma Ranelli. You cant see it in the picture but under the blanket is the other one Grandma Sandra made. He loves them all!!

My mother made each one of her Grandchildren a Ripple Afghan. For that matter, she made every person who knew her, a Ripple Afghan.
When I cleaned out her Sewing Room, I found a trunk full of afghans she had made, and I treasure each and every one of them. She even got me started making them back then. One year, I believe it was 1977, I took orders from various people, and made 4 afghans at $25 each plus materials before Christmas.
That was my first taste of what it would be like to be my own boss, and I spent the next 20 years working to make that dream a reality! I made more than a dozen in the following years, while raising 2 children between 1975-88 and gifted them all. I remember going to Kmart, back when they had a craft section, and I'd buy 12 skeins of coordinating yarns, mostly Sayelle.
I had two more children from 1988-91 and lost interest in ripples for a time.

One day a next-door neighbor invited me over to sit and visit. While I was there, I noticed a beautiful multi-colored Rose Afghan laid out over the back of her couch. I commented on how lovely it was, the many colored flowers against an off-white border. She surprised me a couple days later by gifting the afghan to me. I was so shocked and happy, I couldn't contain myself. I wanted to make another, but I didn't have a pattern at the time. I got some yarn and sat down to begin counting stitches in a single square, and started making a new one. It wasn't long before I had a whole  new complete blanket put together. I wish I could remember who I gave that one too~
What a wonderful thing, the Internet-I have located the vintage pattern and have saved a copy.

After my divorce, I lost track of that afghan, but I do have another one started and will eventually have to finish it. Maybe soon, I'll pick it back up and get busy. 
Ugh, the scanner does this one no justice-the colors are not at all as drap as it appears...I'll have to wait for a sunny day and get a better pick of the entire works, to-date.

I'll have to think about who will be the owner of this one.



For now, I have a couple knitted projects to complete-I'm on the final rows of Hannah's Ina Goda Da Yarna Hat~my personal tribute to Iron Butterfly~




G'night, Lizzy B~

2 comments:

  1. I have a thing for handmade blankets too, as you can see. Theres something about the feel of the yarn and knowing how much time and love went into making it that makes it that much warmer when snuggling up with it. And obviously by that smile, Ive passed that love on to the kiddos too. Every one of my kids has had several blankets made for them by various loved ones and they cherish them all. Hunter however, is the only one of the kids who will carry around every one of his beloved Gi-Gi's at once. Bless his heart. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blanket your mom made has been used daily ever since you gave it to us. :) We love it!

    ReplyDelete