Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Mists of Briarwood

Last night was the first night I actually got a full nights' sleep~ we went to bed around 1:00am, turned on Route 66 and then settled in for the night. The Naked City comes on at 2:30am and I don't remember hearing the start, I was already gone.

I woke up at 9am, totally refreshed. I got up to make a cup of green tea, my ritual every morning. I glanced out the front window to see how much snow had melted in our little corner of the world. We're nestled in an area that is both woods and wetlands, so we get to see a wide diversity of wildlife and fowl, especially across the road by The Pond. The pond is a remnant of a day when Lake Lauderdale and Wandawega were connected. Now they are divided by wetlands and a few houses that were plotted when the water receded several years ago as a result of local development issues, draughts and other natural causes. In recent years, the pond has risen, causing some neighbors to have to literally raise their back yards, in order to stave off the rising water levels. It has leveled off now, but the damage was done, a few sheds were lost and property values suffered as a result. The Pond is a thing to respect, never underestimate, as things can change literally overnight.

For the second day,  a thick fog blanketed the area, no, the entire region, and was so thick as we drive into town, we could barely see 50 feet in front of us in places.There were the usual wreckless drivers about- you know the kind: they don't comprehend the idea of safe driving under adverse conditions, instead driving like they are in an Indy Car race. We gave them plenty of space.

The mist rising in the kettle out back was so hauntingly beautiful. That is a very special spot of our property. It's serenely beautiful and eerie. Deer pass by here on a daily basis, and the occasional spirit can sometimes be glimpsed, a Watcher from days past. We live in what once was one of the most populated regions of  local tribes, and I sometimes contemplate how life must have been, back in the day. It was wildly beautiful, bountiful and you had to be tough to survive the winters. I'm positive a few of them stayed behind, even in spirit. Who could leave such a beautiful place?



The neighbor came over for "Beer Wednesday", the boys' regular weekly event. He asked me if I was ready for another 3-mile walk tomorrow- I said "YES!". It took me 2 days to get past the stiffness from the last 3-mile walk, but as time goes, I'll be back in shape. It felt good and I'm ready to do it again. It's suppose to get to the upper-50's tomorrow, with a chance of rain.

I'm enjoying a Marie Callender's Chicken Parmesan Pot Pie for dinner, in anticipation of Calorie Burn Thursday. noms!

I'm onto the toe of the LumberJill sock #3, it's going fast. I'm going to cast on Hunter's Camo Hat tonight as soon as I post this entry, and will update with pictures as soon as I get far enough into the Camouflage yarn to see a pattern~

No comments:

Post a Comment