Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Easy Pita Bread Recipe - Food.com - 81116

I am done searching for that perfect Pita Pocket~I went online and found an easy-peasy recipe for pita pockets.
I mixed up a batch of dough, put it out on the patio table, and let the summer humidity work it's magic. By dinnertime, I had a bowl-ful of doughy fun nearly crawling out over the top of the bowl.

I cut the dough in half and lined a deepdish pizza pan with one half of the batch, loaded it up with all the veggie goodness I could dig out from the night before; some chopped green peppers, thin-sliced white onions, mushrooms, some fresh basil from the garden, Pastorelli's pizza sauce and a whole pound of shredded mozzarella. No, I didn't squeeze my own cheese this time, but I plan to learn how to make fresh mozzarella too, someday :)

The pizza in the oven, I rolled out the other half of the pita dough. Taking a 4 inch Rubbermaid container, I used it to cut a bunch of 4 inch mini-pitas, set them on a floured pizza peel and slid them onto a pre-heated cookie sheet, on the bottom rack. They turned out perfect, all puffed up and soft dough- DH and the kids loved them, SUCCESS! 

Here's the recipe I used, a simple multi-purpose dough recipe that can be worked for any number of things. And if you're feeling a little adventurous, why not sprinkle some Italian herbs in the dough while it's mixing. Add some garlic powder, for kick, how about some ground sun-dried tomatoes from the refrigerator (literally, dried romas) YUM!

Easy Pita Bread Recipe - Food.com - 81116

No comments:

Post a Comment