Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Truck She Went Ka-PUT!

Today was fun-filled excitement from the minute I got back from my 5-mile walk. The weather was fine, I just got fed up with swatting at deer flies that attacked us in hordes as we walked. The sun beat down on us; we were both wiped out by the time we got to the last mile...but I was glad I did it. I missed 2 days in a row, and payed the Fiddler for my laziness.

We replaced the battery in the Blazer yesterday, when the "Battery Low" light came on. Sure, why not? The battery was 7 years old, and we suspected it was about ready to go. The dome lights had mysteriously begun to flicker on and off sporadically a few days ago, and the Volt meter started to drop little by little within the past week.

So, new battery in place, we got in the truck for our normal evening ride around the area, glee in our hearts as we watched the Volt meter steadily rise back to the halfway mark. DH was happy. We stopped and looked at a 1974 GMC Sprint with a for-sale sign in the window, parked at the gas station on Hwy. A. DH took some pictures of it, what a beauty, and we oogled it for a while before heading back home.

Aint she a beauty?
We started to pull out of the gas station when DH said, "uh-oh...". ???, I asked. He said, "The battery light just came back on and the Volt meter just dropped." Groooooooooannnnn. We headed back home, all the while keeping an eye on the meter, watching it drop like a lead balloon, along with our spirits... By the time we got to Hwy H and turned onto our street, the speedometer and all other gauges went flat-line. Then the Seatbelt Off indicator started flashing...we were in a near panic, hoping the car would make it back to our house before stalling completely. No sooner had we pulled into our driveway and braked in front of the garage, the engine sputtered and died. That was all she wrote.

I called the garage and spoke with the mechanic. Yep, that whistling sound we heard right after replacing the battery, that was the alternator. That much, I remembered from past experience.  Charge the battery overnight and bring it in next day, he said. Cool, except tomorrow is Sunday. So, we'll wait and take it in on Monday- no need to let it sit at the garage doing nothing, when it's safer here.

Tomorrow comes early. Dad will be here at 9am with his Jimmy as a loaner, until our truck is back.

I really need to give my knitting needles a workout-the Rose Parade doily is about 5 roses from the next stage, attaching all the motifs will be fun.

Tomorrow, we will rest and relax. No need to stress over things out of our control. I read on Yahoo News tonight, Truckee, CA. is one of the best lake towns in the US. I was surprised Lake Geneva, WI wasn't on the list. It's one hopping tourist town right now. I'd love to go back and visit Truckee or at Lake Tahoe, my other favorite lake spot, where I practically grew up. The crisp mountain air and smell of Ponderosa pines would be so rejuvenating about now.

Thank you, Sis, for sending me these photos. They help in more ways than you can imagine!! ♥♥♥


Sweet dreams of Emerald Bay and the Ponderosa pines ~and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment